Honors Thesis II
HIS 598 ☙ University of Miami ☙ Spring 2018
Professor: Karl Gunther
Department of History, Ashe 611
Office Hours on Mondays, 2:00-4:00pm
This seminar is the second in a two-course sequence that will culminate in the production of an honors thesis. In HIS 598, you will write the thesis that you researched during Spring and Summer 2017. The first part of the semester will focus on the production of the first draft of the thesis and the second part will focus on revision and polishing.
- Umberto Eco, How to Write a Thesis (pb 978-0262527132)
- Steven Pinker, The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person’s Guide to Writing in the 21st Century (pb 978-0143127796)
- The Craft of Research (I recommend that you purchase the 2nd edition or later, or you can read it online at no cost as an ebook from Richter Library
I will determine your course grade by assessing the final thesis in three general areas:
- the quality and depth of the primary source research
- its engagement with existing scholarship on the subject
- the quality and clarity of its argument, structure, prose, and formatting
While you will not receive grades on the drafts due throughout the semester, you must complete them satisfactorily and submit them on time in order to receive credit. Incomplete, shoddy, or late drafts and revisions will reduce your final course grade.
Assignments. All drafts should be submitted in Word or Pages format via email to me (and, in the case of the complete first and final drafts, to Professor Ramsey as well) by the days and times indicated below. For the revised draft pages due in April, please use the complete rough draft file and enable “track changes” so I can see the revisions you are making more clearly.
Formatting. All assignments must have:
- 1 inch margins
- numbered pages
- double spaced, 12 pt font
- single-spaced footnotes for all citations (formatted according to the guidelines in Eco, How to Write A Thesis, section 3.2.3).
- the final thesis is to have a title and a bibliography
Honor Code. Your conduct in this course is governed by the University of Miami Honor Code. Any violations of this code will be reported to the Honor Council and may result in a failing grade for the course, in addition to other serious penalties imposed by the Honor Council.
Note: these are “due by” dates. You are more than welcome to submit assignments earlier!
Week of 1/22. Schedule meeting with Ramsey.
2/4. At least 8 pages of rough draft by 5pm.
- Meet with Gunther on 2/5 to discuss draft.
2/18. At least 8 more pages of rough draft by 5pm.
- Meet with Gunther on 2/19 to discuss draft.
3/4. At least 8 more pages of rough draft by 5pm.
- Meet with Gunther on 3/5 to discuss draft.
3/18. At least 8 more pages of rough draft by 5pm.
- Meet with Gunther on 3/19 to discuss draft.
3/25. Complete rough draft to Gunther & Ramsey by 5pm.
- Schedule mtg. with Gunther & Ramsey during this week to discuss revisions.
4/8. At least 10 pages of revised draft by 5pm.
- Meet with Gunther on 4/9 to discuss revisions.
4/15. At least 10 pages of revised draft by 5pm.
- Meet with Gunther on 4/16 to discuss revisions.
4/22. At least 10 pages of revised draft by 5pm.
- Meet with Gunther on 4/23 to discuss revisions.
5/2. Complete final draft on paper and via email to Gunther & Ramsey by 5pm.